Saturday, September 6, 2014

Blog Post #3

Peer Review Picture with many words saying compliment, direct, review, etc.

Peer review can be scary, it may also be difficult. I know personal I always have some grammar mistakes just ask my group. I know I'm not the best at peer reviewing but as someone who always has grammar mistakes in my assignment I always just go with a straight approach, because as soon to be teachers we personally know no ones perfect. That's why we must help out each other for all assignments and blogs. To be straight forward is showing that hey you did something wrong you might want to correct that. It may be a little direct but as long as they know it is to help them to understand in the future it is all worth it.
I know I probably made some mistakes already but other than the direct approach I learned that you can use a slightly less direct approach in Peer Review Slide that being more helpful by commenting and giving the paper compliments about how good their paper looks. While i have had many peer reviewers read my paper many of them always start out with some sort of compliment before telling me whats wrong. The compliment really helps out someone who knows he struggles in grammar giving them a boost by telling themselves that " Yeah I messed up but my classmate really loves how I counterargument the subject". Giving advise can be difficult but if they know that, even if it hurts the classmate a little, they are ultimately making them a better student in someway is always a great job.

2 comments:

  1. I don't need to ask your group! Let's start here: "I know personal I always have some grammar mistakes just ask my group." personally, not personal. Just ask my group. should be a separate sentence.

    " is showing that hey you did something wrong you might want to correct that." Omit hey. Make you might want to correct that into a separate sentence.

    "While i have had many peer reviewers read my paper many of them always start out with some sort of compliment before telling me whats wrong." I, not i; what's not whats

    "The compliment really helps out someone who knows he struggles in grammar giving them a boost by telling themselves that " Yeah I messed up but my classmate really loves how I counterargument the subject". " Counterargument?

    "Giving advise can be difficult but if they know that, even if it hurts the classmate a little, they are ultimately making them a better student in someway is always a great job. " Awkward. Read this aloud. Rewrite.

    If you intend to be a teacher you must not shrug off your "grammar mistakes." You have to get better! I will be looking for better writing than this if you are to succeed in EDM310!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb, I agree that peer reviewing can be scary at times. You're putting your work out there for others to judge. Sometimes it can be a little discouraging when you've put so much time and effort into a project, and someone else tells you it's terrible. I think everyone, including me, has been there and done that. The videos gave some great tips on how to correct someone in a nice and encouraging way. I liked how you said, "Being direct is best for the future." If no one tells you you're making a mistake, how are you supposed to fix it? I think by commenting on each other's posts, we will be able to better our fellow classmates in the long run. Like Dr. Strange said, continue to work on your grammar and proofread! We all have something we struggle with. If you are aware that you need help in a certain area, I think it is important to ask lots of questions. Best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete